Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Christmas Gift

21 December 2005
17:34
Lafang, at my bed

I just got home from Kanlungan, a sanctuary for abused children. It is one of MARSF’s projects, to go to shelters every Christmas. I was actually too lazy this morning to go. But since it is one of the reasons I stayed for a few more days here in Manila (despite the holidays), I went with Knots.

All of us were asked to introduce ourselves. After Knots said his name it was already my turn, but this kid suddenly interrupted me, to tell, eherm, actually shout for everyone to hear, “Bagay kayo!”. Ponting to Knots me and me. I smiled and nodded. Syempre agree ako duon. :p

The kid’s name was Jay-Jay. A little later, he approached Knots and sat on his lap and I knew the kid liked him. Hindi na sya umalis sa tabi namin, or rather, sa lap ni Knots, since then. We fed him during lunch and played with him. Everyone was teasing us already, na anak daw namin si Jay-Jay. We even had “family pictures”, and Jay-Jay was announcing to everyone that Knots is his Papa and I’m his Mama. Haha. :p

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Knots and Jay-Jay

Then another kid, Ransel, approached me at nagpakalong sa akin. Jay-Jay didn’t like it, so inaway nya si Ransel. Hala na. Nag-away ang dalawang bata dahil samin ni Knots. Ransel won’t leave my lap, he was silently crying for a few minutes. While Knots was telling Jay-Jay that what he did was wrong, I was consoling Ransel to make him stop crying. When at last huminto na sya, he sat on my lap and never left us again. Jay-Jay, on the oher hand, went inside his room.

I was worried thinking na baka nagalit sya or nagtatampo or nagseselos that’s why umalis sya. Nung it was already time for us to leave, I was kissing some kids goodbye, including Ransel, when Jay-Jay approached me and handed me a folded sheet of paper. Then he suddenly ran away to go inside his room again.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

“Meri Crismas. I Love You.”

Sobrang touching nung letter. I immediately told Knots to run after Jay-Jay so we could say goodbye to him. Since Ransel won’t let go of my hand, hinila sya nina Ressie and Zhei. When Knots and I finally got to speak to Jay-Jay, I thanked him for the letter, kissed him goodbye, told him na wag na makikipag-away and that bati na sila si Ransel. He silently nodded to every word I said. We were about to leave whren Knots saw na meron pang nakasulat inside the folded paper.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

“I love you Ate Janna. Jay-Jay”


And at the center was a drawing of crying boy.

JANNA: Bakit umiiyak yung bata sa drawing? Ha Jay-Jay?
JAY-JAY: Kasi po umiyak po ako kanina…
JANNA: Bakit ka umiyak? Tatandaan mo ha. Love ka din ni Ate Janna and ni Kuya Knots. Kaya wag ka na iiyak. Pakabait ka lagi ha? Wag na away.
JAY-JAY: Opo. Merry Christmas.
JANNA: Merry Christmas! I love you.

And that was when I realized na nauna pa yung bata na bumati sa akin ng Merry Christmas.

Wow.

What an experience.

That letter is probably the best gift this Christmas. Wow.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

isa sa mga dreams ko yung ganiyan. i think if that happened to me, baka hagulgol ako niyan... to think that coming from an abused kid... it hits close to heart... Merry Christmas! Hala may child out of wedlock na kayo!

--aldwin

janna, m.d. said...

haha.:p pero grabe, super unexpected what happened, and according nga to reymond, parang sa pelikula lang nangyayari ang ganun. Oh well... hey aldz, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Miss you!